Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Vidal's Salon Turns One!

Fall has arrived! Today was the first anniversary of the salon opening, & Vidal was having food catered in. We set up tables to display all of the goodies. Magazine reporters & camera men were coming in & out. Josef was putting on his best performance, with his little flipping of his wrist, but for some reason Brad was not happy about all of the fuss.
"What's wrong with Brad?" I whispered into Charles ear.
"Not sure. Ask Aaron."
My next client walked in, so I went over to her & gave her a hug. "How are you, Eileen?"
" Great, CeCe!" She walked over to the client changing lounge. I lite a cigarette & waited for her to come out.
"What's all of this?" Eileen asked, motioning to all of the activity.
" Our first anniversary. What are we doing today?" as I started to brush her hair.
Eileen has been a client of mine since Brooklyn. We've become really good friends & over time have shared a great deal of our personal lives with each other. Eileen was a real pretty girl, but didn't see herself that way. I hated that for her, so I worked extra hard on her hair styles & advised her often on make-up & clothes.
" I'm thinking of a perm," she said with a smile,"What can you do for me, CeCe?"
"That's great. I know exactly what I want to do. It's a dramatic change. Are you up for it?"
"Yes,yes! I need change in my life right now. My love life has hit an all time low. The only one that I'm sleeping with is my cat."
We laughed out loud together. We were both in the same boat. I motioned her over to Agnes.
Camera men & reporters were interviewing everyone that they could. Cameras flashed all afternoon, music playing all of the current hits, clients getting a little tipsy, enjoying the catering, everyone was in a party mood. Michele was sneaking a drink in the back. Brad was still quiet, but did allow some photographers to take his pictures while he worked on his clients.
Three hours later I finished Eileen's hair. She looked beautiful. I kept it long in the back with large round ringlets falling around her face. She had beautiful blue eyes that sparkled, & the ringlets fell right at her temples to accent her eyes. I also added a few highlights around the frame of her face, so it seemed to glow.
"Can I take your picture, Miss?" One of the photographers asked Eileen
"Ah, yes, o'kay," she looked up to me & I smiled, nodding my head. "CeCe, you have to be in it also. You created this masterpiece."
"Yes, of course," He said,"My name is Sam." as he stretched his hand out to shake Eileen's.
Sam took about two dozen shots of Eileen. I was in about six of them, but he had her posing all over the salon. He was making her laugh, & she was as giddy as a school girl, with all of the attention he was giving her. I later saw her give him her phone number. I was thrilled. Sam was a nice looking guy, seemed to be taken by her, or at least flirtatious.
The day went by quickly, with the reporters, camera men, & clients going in & out. It was about an hour before closing time. I was in the employees lounge eating my dinner & having a drink.
"CeCe," Judy leaned against the doorway, "Your next client is here."
"Thanks Judy. Just tell them to change & have a seat. I'll be out in five minutes."
"O'kay." She went out to the salon area.
As I walk out to the clients waiting area, my heart dropped. It was 'him'! 'Oh my God' I said to myself.
"Hi Sunny," shaking his hand, "Are we doing the same cut?"
"I love it CeCe," holding my hand too long, "Can you do it again?"
"Sure can! Go tell Judy to shampoo you, & I'll see you at my station."
Joseef winked at me through the mirror, while Michele gave me an encouraging smile. The end of a very hard day, & this is what I have to deal with.

No comments: