Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunny's First Appointment

Friday nights were always crazy at the salon. Clients coming in late because of traffic or getting stuck a little later at their office, always ran our bookings late.
Agnes was great with keeping the clients shampooed & processed, plus she trained Judy really well. Agnes also knew which clients tipped better than others & made sure those were the ones she shampooed.
I turned to call over my next client to my chair, & looked into the eyes of the man from Ammies.
"Have a seat here please." I tried not to show that I recognized him. "My name is CeCe, what is yours?" as I reached my hand out to shack his.
"Hi CeCe," he took my hand in both of his, "I'm Sunny."
I quickly removed my hand from his hold. "Well, what do you want to do with your hair?"
Sunny looked into the mirror & ran his fingers through his hair quickly. "I think just a shaping would be fine, but, on the other hand, I might like something a little different."
"That's a dangerous thing to say to her," Michele commented.
"Well, I think I'll leave it up to CeCe."
As I brushed his hair & made suggestions, Sunny nodded, asking about up-keep, etc., staring none stop at me through the mirror.Finally, I sent him over to Judy for a shampoo.
"Isn't that the guy from the bar?"
"Yes!", I answered.
"He's so cute." remarked Josef.
"Well I don't like him. He gives me the creeps! I don't like him coming to this shop."
"Well, honey," Josef brushed his eye brow, " If he could afford a sixty five dollar hair cut, then be cool. Or ah, you can pass him on to me." There was the flirty queen again. The three of us laughed.
As I cut Sunnys' hair, we chatted about the war, civil rights. He told me that he was a printer for a major company downtown, single, but divorced with a son, that lived with his mom in another state. I got the feeling he was trying to impress me, which wasn't working. I didn't know why I didn't like him, but my stomach was in a knot until he was out of my chair.
I motioned to my next client to give me a minute, as I plopped myself into my chair, lighting a cigarette.
"What do I owe you, CeCe?" as he was approaching my chair.
"It's sixty five dollars, Sunny."
He handed me a hundred dollar bill. "Keep the change."
"Thank You!" as I walked over to the desk, where the register is.
"Do you remember me?" Sunny asked.
"No" I lied, "Have I done your hair before?" I hoped that my voice sounded normal.
"We met at the club downtown about a month ago. I sent you white roses two days later. Did you get them?" His eyes were smiling, but his face wasn't.
"The roses," I responded, "They were from you?" pretending to be surprised. "They were beautiful."
"Good, I'm glad."
There was an awkward pause. I motioned for my client to come to my chair.
"Well, I hope you enjoy your haircut, Sunny." I started to drape the client in my chair.
"I'll see you again soon, CeCe" he said as he left the salon.

No comments: