Thursday, July 31, 2008

Salon Talk & Product Line

Vidal & I were the last to leave the Salon. Josef left early, due to a terrible cold, Michele didn't come in, because the snow was too deep, and Charles left after his last client. The snow was falling so thick, we barely were able to see the cars & buses driving past.
"Going home, CeCe?"
"Yes."
"Want to stop for a drink first with me?" It was more of a command.
"Not really, Vidal. I'm going to have to walk home in this snow. That's going to be rough."
"Yes, I know." His voice was lower than usual.
"Why?" Vidal looked concerned, "Is something wrong?"
"I would like your opinion on something, but I need your input, since you will have the biggest challenge. I thought that we can go down to the saloon, & discuss it over a drink."
"Okay, sure. Let me finish cleaning up. Agnes forgot to wash the coffee pot again. I need to speak with her in the morning!"
Agnes was our new shampoo girl. She was great with the clients, very good with the timing of color washes, perm processing, & getting our clients ready for us, but, not very good at quiting time with the clean up. She always left something to be 'done in the morning', & I didn't approve of that. I expected everything to be clean & ready to go the next day.
It seemed to take us forever, just to cross the street to the bar that we all hung out in sometimes after work. It was a nice place. Not fancy like a lot of the bars. They served burgers, chili, Tex-mex sort of menu. But everyone knew us & it was a comfortable, friendly place to drop into.
George, the bartender, waved to us as we walked in.
"Usual guys?" Vidal had turned me on to Vodka martinis. He enjoyed them also.
"Yes, thanks." Vidal answered, as we walked to a table.
The place was unusually quite. They had a Presley tape playing in the back ground & the television was on, with no sound. Didn't need to hear what the news caster was saying. They were showing our men in Viet Nam.
George motioned to Vidal that our drinks were ready, so Vidal excused himself to go get them.
I lite a cigarette, as my martini was placed in front of me & Vidal sat across from me.
"CeCe, I've seen a tremendous increase in bookings over the past few months."
"Yes, I know," I responded with a big smile. Business has been terrific, & all of us are getting booked up one & two weeks in advance. Between my salary, commissions & tips, I was making about $1000.00 a week. Big difference from just one year ago.
"Well, this is my thought, but you tell me if it's going to be too difficult for you."
I took another sip of my drink as I snubbed out my cigarette.
"I want to hire two or three more stylist. We have enough stations. That would mean hiring another shampoo girl of course. I don't think Agnes can handle seven or eight stylist alone. Do you?"
I nodded my head in agreement.
"The other thing that I've been contemplating with is products."
"Products?" My voice rose up a little higher than I intended. Most salons were beginning to retail hair products now. I didn't care for the idea because it was a pain to inventory & market. Just too much paper work.
"Let me explain my idea." I loved the way he always held his hand up when he was going to push his idea." I've been speaking with a company that currently is making shampoos etc. They are agreeable to my having a say as to the ingredients that will go into the products. With that sort of input, I can design shampoos, conditioners, gels & sprays, that are custom formulated. Every customer will have a product formulated to their particular hair type."
I had to admit, it was a excellent idea!
" Vidal, that's brilliant!"
"I'd hoped you'd say that."
Three hours later, we had a game plan. Over burgers, onion rings, & three more martinis each, we both were please with the course of action. My only silent hesitation was, when will I get time to start law school?

No comments: