Monday, July 14, 2008

A Cut Above - Who is this 'Exquisite Man'?

Salvatore, my son, will be 2 years old next week. I can't believe it's two years already! I don't see him as much as I would like, since he lives with my Mom & step-dad. My Mom believes that his life would be better living with her, since 'unwed mothers' don't have a chance to "meet a man to marry you" with a baby hanging on your skirt. I don't know how true that is, but, I'm not looking to be married yet. I have to finish law school first, so I'm letting things ride right now. I'll call her later to find out what Sal wants for his birthday.

I see that I have Mrs. Bruno for my first client today. God help me with this witch! I don't think that there is a soul that she likes or doesn't talk badly about. Well, here goes the smile & 'glad to see you', BS.

AnneMarie is strutting around like she got lucky or something last night. She hasn't complained about anything going on in the shop today, (did she get lucky?), but, she is running our shampoo girl Terrys' butt off, making sure everything is clean & in it's place. It's Wednesday, our slowest day of the week. Only two beauticians, Sofia & myself. Finally got 'Ol Mrs. Bruno under the hair dryer. Forty minutes of relief before I hear the rest of her 'poor son & that 'terrible wife' of his. What she doesn't know is that her 'poor son', owes the neighborhood bookie around $5,000.00 in bad horse bets, & his 'terrible wife' may be a young widow soon!

I can't believe the way AnneMarie perked up when this man, (very distinguished looking), walked into the shop. I think that she was actually flirting with him! They hugged each other & laughed about something as his eyes scanned around the shop. Sofia dropped rollers all over the floor, while I kept cutting my ladies hair. His eyes settled on me for just a moment & then on Sofia. AnneMarie introduced this stranger as her 'old friend Vidal',then quickly scooted him into the employees lounge in the back. Sofia looked over to me with raised eye brows & a grin, I returned the grin with a shrug of my shoulders. It was already 3pm, & I was glad that we closed in less than 3 hours.

Vidal! What kind of name was that? Being in a mostly Italian area of Brooklyn, most of the men here are called Johnny, Paulie, or Joey. The women are Maria, Angie or Theresa. I got lucky with Constance Caroline, & everyone cut that down to CeCe. But Vidal, that's really different. He also has some kind of accent, I think. I'm curious, but, I'm more interested in getting out of this shop today. Only five clients & three dollars in tips, plus a headache from Mrs. Bruno.

No comments: