Tuesday, July 15, 2008

You have pretty hair...

April is finally here! Spring time, the time of Renewal. My son's birthday party went well. I got him everything that my Mom told me that he needed & wanted. Gosh, I love that boy. I can't wait to get my law degree, so that I could bring him to live with me. It breaks my heart every time I see him, & then leave without him. Some day, Sal will be with me!

Like every Saturday, we were crazy busy at the salon. Customers were late for their appointments, & I had perms, cuts, colors stacked up so bad that I didn't stop to eat all day.

Half way through the day, Vidal walked through the door. It was as if he glided. Tall, tanned, beautiful haircut, white sparkly smile that dazzled you. Sharply dressed. Here in Brooklyn, "dressed" to the guys is changing into a clean pair of jeans. Vidal definitely made you turn your head!

We had learned from AnneMarie that he was a hairdresser from London. There weren't many male hairdressers here yet. Barbers is where the men went. It was still new for the guys to go to a 'beauty salon' to have a girl cut their hair. AnneMarie said she met Vidal at a 'Hairdressers Convention' in London, & they've been good friends since. My hunch was that they had a little romance & she would like to pick up where they left off, but Vidal is married now with a child.

Finally, the day came to an end. It was past 7PM, by the time I finished cleaning my station, & packing up my equipment. I was brushing my hair when Vidal walked over to my chair & slid himself into it.

"You have pretty hair."

"Thank You." Was HE talking to ME?!?

"Your pretty good with that shears." Hi accent was so seductive.

"Thank you again. Busy day, I had to whip through those cuts at record speed. Thank heavens for blow dryers."

" You have a good command of your tools. Where did you study cosmetology?"

"Winifred in Queens." My heart started to beat faster. Were my legs getting weak?

"Vidal?" AnneMarie called, " Let's get out of here girls", she called to us, "Come on Vidal, I need a cocktail."

All of us picked up our bags & purses, heading for the door. Thank God, another week over. Payday & my birthday. Yes, I was having what promised to be a very good year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow
i felt i was right there
,getting nervous with vidal.traveling along with you in a time machine

i could read your stories for hours
great work hun

ur fellow writter
mascheria